Wednesday, December 12, 2012

DIY Canvas Photos - Handmaking the Holidays


I've been wanting to make one of these Canvas Photos for a while and I definitely will be making them again.  I decided to make these for a gift for my brother.  I'm pretty sure he doesn't read my blog often, so hopefully he doesn't start today!  If so, act surprised Donny! 

Who doesn't love photos?  Which makes this Canvas Photo the perfect gift, especially for parents, grandparents or really any family.  Have a friend without kids, maybe they'd love a canvas photo of their pet!  There is the perfect photo for everyone out there.  That is why I chose to make this my last post for Handmaking the Holidays!

Looking for some other great ideas to help you with Handmaking the Holidays? Hop on over to visit Chrissy at Muse of the Morning, Heather at Feather's Flights, and Sandee at In the Hills of North Carolina to see what they are sharing!



To make your canvas photo you will need a canvas (I used 8x10's), a photo the same size as your canvas, matte Mod Podge, foam brushes, and black paint (or any color that matches your photo.)

I began by painting the edges of my canvas black.  Also paint a bit of the top front edge of your canvas as well, just to make sure that none of the white shows through.  Let dry.

 
Apply a layer of your mod podge to the back of your photo and the front of your canvas with your foam brush.  Set your photo on top of your canvas, matching up the sides as best as you can.
 
 
I turned my photo face down on a clean surface and then added some heavy books on top for pressure.  I left it like this to dry.
 

If your edges don't match up just right, you can turn your canvas face down on a cutting mat.  Use a craft knife or razor blade to cut the excess off, using the canvas edge as your guide.  Be sure you don't nick the edge of your canvas or you could slice it.  If you have to, you can go back and touch up the sides with your paint if you need to.


Now apply your Mod Podge onto the front and sides of your canvas photo.  Allow to dry completely.  The photo will look a little cloudy like mine does after applying the Mod Podge, but don't worry it does dry clear.  It actually adds a little texture which I think adds to the canvas effect.  I did add a second coat after it dried.


Your photo is now ready to hang.  The painted edges really give it a more finished look.  These are going to look great hung up on the wall.  My brother is a great Dad, and I'm sure he is going to be proud to have his boys adorning his walls.


I've had so much fun being part of this Handmaking the Holidays series.  Thanks to Chrissy for letting me apart of it.  It's been fun meeting and sharing ideas with all of the ladies.  Happy Holidays to everyone!



One Artsy Mama

43 comments:

  1. They turned out great Melissa, I am sure he is going to LOVE them! waving hi from the hills of North Carolina :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always wanted to have photo canvases, and now I can make my own! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So nice! I wanted to ask whether you have to use a specific type of photo print? I've heard it has to be laser copied, on plain paper?
    thanks!
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had some smearing issues with an ink jet printer and Mod Podge. I had these pictures printed at Target and they were only about $3.50 for 8 x 10s. No smearing at all.

      Delete
  4. Now I want to try this, it looks so easy and what a great way to create your own!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Should they be printed on photo paper? Or regular printer paper?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you could do either. Photo paper will make it more crisp looking though. You should know that if you print your own with an ink jet printer, you may have some issues with the ink smearing. You won't have that issue if you order your prints from Walmart or Walgreens.

      Delete
    2. Do you think it would work with a poster print printed from meijer?

      Delete
    3. I would think it would. The only issues I've had with the smearing has been with printing at home. I would love to try some poster sized prints! Good luck!

      Delete
  6. I made a few of these and instead of books to keep the bubbles and buckling to a minimum, I rolled them out with a rolling pin. I used a soft flannel pillow case over the rolling pin and it came out just as good as if I have put books on it! Just a thought!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll do it this week as a Valentine's day present! Once the books press the canvas and it is dried, do we add another coat of mod podge on top on the photo again?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Valentine's Day gifts are a great idea! Yes, I placed the books on the canvas after attaching the back of the photo to the canvas. After it was dried, I added a few separate coats of mod podge to the top of the photo.

      Delete
  8. The photos looks really wonderful. Thanks for the share.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Buon giorno from Italy,

    I have access to a photo printing machine, but I'm not sure what paper to use. Do you use the usual glossy type paper (akin to how photos came when you had to turn in the film and wait), or if this something different I should look for?

    Grazie in advance!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was looking for a DIY canvas making ideas, and suddenly come across this post and found an easy diy photo onto canvas making tutorial, you did great work, these canvases are looking very nice, Little boy is so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I also used glossy paper, very cool effect and great canvas photo tutorial. Try out printing photos on canvas across multiple pieces. Its a little more challenging, works best with landscapes and cityscapes.

    Canvas Photos

    ReplyDelete
  12. What kind of paint did you use to paint the canvas edges?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just used a basic black craft paint that you can get for a dollar at any Walmart or craft store.

      Delete
  13. So easy and still so thoughtful and looks great too... Thanks for a wonderful post...
    Love

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ha

    I am going to try this. i have been printing on canvas but this is awesome
    Thanks for sharing this great idea. The results looks awesome

    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow I might print some of myn up and have all my memories on a collage or something

    ReplyDelete
  16. We provide custom canvas oil painting production, how do you ask us to how , only you can not think , no we can not . Sincerely for your service , thank you.
    My website :http://www.customcanvasonline.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have found one cool website to get all custom size canvas prints at very affordable price - http://www.canvaschamp.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  18. Stella canvas is a top notched online Cheap canvas prints services in Australia offering the customers with a wide range of beautiful canvas arts, prints and designs at cheap prices. We master the art of printing and bring your old images, quotes, thoughts and walls to life.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You are the maker of your own confidence, and for this situation, your own numerous canvas painting. Lose your creative ability and its results will discover its space on your canvas.
    Calligraphy

    ReplyDelete
  20. I admire this article for the well-researched content and excellent wording. I got so involved in this material that I couldn’t stop reading. I am impressed with your work and skill. Thank you so much. Canvas Prints Dubai

    ReplyDelete
  21. A delightful perusing for any individual who adores perusing online journals.
    Canvas Prints

    ReplyDelete
  22. I was looking at some of your posts on this website and I conceive this web site is really instructive! Keep putting up...
    Visit us for printing on customized spill proof travel mugs.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I admire this article for the well-researched content and excellent wording. I got so involved in this material that I couldn’t stop reading. I am impressed with your work and skill. Thank you so much. Canvas Printing.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I admire this article for the well-researched content and excellent wording about Art. I got so involved in local tattoo shops. I am impressed with your work and skill. Thank you so much,and full info visit on Nokomistattoo.

    ReplyDelete
  25. It is very informative post thanks for sharing the information.
    luxury packaging
    Tie box manufacturer

    ReplyDelete
  26. Definitely, what a fantastic website and revealing posts, I definitely will bookmark your site.Have an awsome day!

    Click here to chceck my blog :: 휴게텔

    ReplyDelete
  27. If you're interested in AI, Machine Learning and Data Science, check out the list of movies (in no particular order) below and watch them. I write articles on ...

    ReplyDelete
  28. Ultimate Review Of Best Christmas Light Projectors In 2021. 7 hours ago The Bets 4 Christmas Light Projectors In The Market For The Money! Best Choice ...

    ReplyDelete
  29. Stop The Itch of Dry Skin this Winter: A blog about how to deal with dry skin during the winter months! BodyGroom Pro Review

    ReplyDelete
  30. In the modern world, knee pain is a common orthopedic complication. It's caused by an injury or irritation of cartilage and ligaments or any other…dotsnel

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day! Thanks for coming by and sharing your thoughts.